You'd think that after 26 years you would have experienced most emotions, but the feeling I felt when driving to the venue, all dressed up like a Disney princess, I have no words! It was terrifying and incredibly exciting at the same time and I loved every moment of it.
To mention just a few of many points that truly stood out....
- My dress. Handmade by my mother (supermom!), it was something out of a Disney movie. The gasps and reactions from everyone when it was time for the first dance - the first reveal of the hidden fairy lights - I still look at videos and get blown away.
- Seeing my husband-to-be's face as I walked down the aisle with my dad (thank goodness for amazing makeup that withstood all my unlady-like tears).
- My dad having tears in his eyes for most of the ceremony.
- My mom sticking her head under my dress to check the fairy lights - some good laughs.
- My bridesmaids holding my dress up for me while I pee. I think that is the main reason for having bridesmaids (more good laughs).
- A school friend who wrote a song just for me and surprised me by singing it at the reception.
- The food! The glorious food! Tapas style. Oooooh and the doughnuts!
- The incredible love & support from my parents, sister, bridesmaids, and my new in-law family.
- And maaaany more...
We booked a flippen lekker Mozambique package through Pentravel. Money is tight ya'll, so hubby and I both clubbed in to have a shweet honeymoon. We spent 5 nights at Massinga Beach Lodge. It was my first time in the beautiful country and it was worth every penny. I probably came back weighing 3kg heavier and a couple skin shades pinker (worth it!).
Dress: My mother
Shoes: Ballet pumps by Teplov, Somerset-West
Hair: Laura Westcott from Nicci Phillips Hair Salon, Knysna
Makeup: Bianca Mua De Ridder (Garden Route)
We got married at The Rose Pavilion/Bosky Dell, near Plettenberg Bay. It is basically a massive rose garden, so needless to say, you don't need to fret over flower decorations too much at this venue. Gorgeous is an understatement. Guests could enjoy the gin bar and lawn games while we had our photos taken. The reception has the option of being completely open if it's a nice evening, but if too chilly or windy, it can be completely closed up for a cosy feel. Rae and her staff are truly amazing at bringing the whole day together - you just tell her what you want and she makes it happen.
My bridal beauty regime was non-existent. Okay, I may have removed some upper lip fuzz and increased my water intake slightly. But overall I live a healthy lifestyle with a balance between exercising and eating cookies. I did not lose a single kilogram for the wedding, but thankfully I did not gain any either. I also had highlights touched up in my hair. Ya, that's about it.
My bridesmaids wore dusty blue infinity dresses. My sister stood out with a long, evening style dress (since she's already a married mama) and my 3 friends wore cocktail style dresses. They looked hawt!
The famous Infinity Dress is one dress that can be worn in 27 different ways. This amazing dress makes the perfect Bridesmaids dresses as its full flare skirt complements every...
Supermom had it all under control!
We hired a taxi to take us from my parents' house in Knysna to the venue. It worked really well with getting in and out with my dress. Swag.
The Fat Fish in Plettenberg Bay prepared the most delicious tapas food for us. There was so much food to go around and everything was delicious.
I didn't want a wedding cake. Instead, I had macaroons and doughnuts - sticking to the finger food theme.
We winged the dancing. Fortunately we weren't complete strangers to "sokkie", so dancing was not a big issue.
DJ Mickey services were great. You can be very specific as to what you want played and when.