THE ULTIMATE LOCKDOWN SHOPPING LIST
With South Africa in lockdown, meal prep is a little different. In order to help flatten the curve, South African citizens were urged to stay at home and only pop out for essential goods. To assist you, Kath has provided the handiest little shopping list to help you prep properly during lock down. The most important point to remember is to shop smartly to avoid popping down to the store frequently. Use these handy guides as a starting point and check your pantry stock before you head off to your local grocer.
Kath recommends keeping life simple with wholesome, nutritious and healthy breakfast and lunch meals. Keep it fresh and tasty to ensure you’re not over snacking or find yourself heading towards sweets and crisps.
Breakfast shopping list:
- Greek Yoghurt
- Mixed nuts
- Berries or Granola
- Seed bread
- Smoked Salmon or Salmon Trout
- Creamed Cottage Cheese
- Rosa Tomatoes
From the above you can make:
- Greek yoghurt, mixed nuts and a drizzle of honey
- Greek yoghurt with muesli or granola
- Greek yoghurt with berries and mixed nuts
- Seed bread, toasted with salmon, creamed cottage cheese and a squeeze of lemon
- French toast with berries, honey and yoghurt.
- Scrambled eggs with bacon and roasted Rosa tomatoes. Seed bread toasted is optional.
- A lovely omelette always goes down well. Try my favourite combination of bacon, roasted rosa tomatoes and grated cheese
Lunch is a firm favourite and I love keeping it fresh and simple. As we welcome in winter, you can start making various soups. For those still squeezing the last out of the warm weather a hearty and whole salad is always a winning lunch option.
Lunch shopping list:
- You can buy ready made soups, which is easier right now as we do not have the luxury of the shops being fully stocked
- Butter lettuce
- Rosa tomatoes
- Baby corn
- Feta and/or Mozzarella
- Fresh Herbs
Add the above to this salad mix:
- Grilled chicken strips
- Have the salad as is and add roasted sunflower seeds.
- Bake a potato and serve with cream cheese
Supper ideas can prove to be quite challenging! Try these easy go-to family favourites that are proven winners. Healthy and wholesome, these supper ideas pack in flavour and are filled with nutritious goodness.
Supper shopping list:
There you have it ladies and gentleman, with this bedroom basics list your boudoir will be up to date in no time. Comment below if you have some must have items to add to the list!
- Whole chicken
- Chicken kebabs
- Rump steak
- Parmesan cheese
- Calamari tubes
- x2 Roast vegetable pack
- Long stemmed broccoli
- x2 Baby spinach
- Baby potatoes
- Oven chips
- Tomato paste
- Tinned tomatos
- Salad goods: lettuce, avocado, cucumber, Rosa tomatoes, baby corn
- Fruit that lasts, bananas, oranges, lemons, berries.
From the above, you can make:
- Weber chicken or roast chicken with roast vegetables and my crushed potatoes
- Rump steak with blanched baby spinach and mushrooms.
- Chicken kebabs and boerewors braai with salad and crushed potatoes.
- Tomato, chilli and bacon pasta. Serve with parmesan.
- Good old spaghetti Bolognese. Recipe HERE
- Cajun calamari tubes with oven chips and salad
And there you have it, these shopping list essentials will have meals prepped for the next 5 days. All healthy, wholesome and can be enjoyed by all. Wishing all of our readers good health always!