Kath is back and today she shares her top tips on how to make the most delectable bran muffins which are not only healthy but taste great too. This recipe is a wonderful base to a delicious muffin that you can add interesting extras to to jazz it up. After all, variety is the spice of life. These delicious bran and raisin muffins from Ina Paarman are not your usual dense heavy bran muffins. They are light, fluffy and absolutely delicious and so easy to mix up for a fabulous weekend treat, healthy breakfast or lunch box filler. Did somebody say winning?
- x1 Box Ina Paarman Bran & Raisin Muffin Mix
- 3 Extra Large or Jumbo Eggs
- ½ Cup (125 ml) Canola or Sunflower Oil
- 1 Cup (250 ml) Plain Yoghurt or Buttermilk
- 1 Cup (250 ml) Hot Full Cream Milk
- *Kosher households can replace the yoghurt & milk with 2 cups coconut milk or apple juice.
—— METHOD ——
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter muffin pans or make your own baking paper muffin cups. Remove the raisin bag from the foil bag and pour boiling water over the raisins to plump them up. Drain immediately and set aside to swell. Beat eggs and oil together for 30 seconds on high speed until well blended. Add yoghurt and milk and beat until well blended. Add contents of pack and drained plumped raisins and stir by hand with a spatula ± 40 times until uniformly blended. (Do not beat). Spoon mixture into buttered muffin pan/s or paper muffin cups. Bake for about 35 minutes.
C U S T O M I S E Y O U R M U F F I N S
Kath shares her top tips on how to customise your muffin mix. Try one of these delicious combinations and tell us which combination is your favourite:
- You can sprinkle some muesli on the top of the muffin before baking it.
- Add some chopped pecan nuts and grated carrot. For one box of bran mixture, add 50g of chopped nuts and 1 cup grated carrot (fold into mixture)
- Some blueberries can change the flavour, omit the raisins that are in the box and rather add a cup of blueberries
- Banana is another option for this wonderful bran muffin mixture. I would add 2 chopped, medium bananas to your mixture.